The School For Good And Evil


In honor of Halloween, we decided to do a book review to go along with the “Halloween” theme.  On Friday we are going to see TONS of amazing costumes. We might see fairies, brides, or princesses. Some may choose to be something more evil like zombies, vampires, or evil wizards.  Everyone decides if they want to be good or evil for the night.  What if that choice was taken away?  What if they were assigned to be good or evil for the night?  What if the thing they got assigned, good or evil, they were stuck being that way forever?  That is how it is in The School For Good and Evil.

At first I did not know what I would think of this book. Do you know the saying, "Don’t judge a book by its cover"?  I did the complete opposite when I saw this book.  I saw the cover and immediately thought, "Nope.  This is NOT a book for me."  However, I read what the book was about and I thought, "Let's just give it a shot."  I ended up liking it.  I liked seeing the two main girls, Sophie and Agatha, try to figure out how to live in these schools that they obviously did not belong to at first.  I loved trying to figure out what was going on and how everything was going to fit together.  It is a book for younger people so the language is clean, which I always love.  There are not a lot of books like this book so it was something different.

Now for the bad part. I hate saying this, but there were some things in the book I was not crazy about. Some of the things in the book were a little too weird for me.  Somethings just sounded wrong when I read them in the book. (If you read it you can probably guess what I am talking about).  However, do not let that stop you from reading this novel.

Overall, I thought the book was pretty good.  Now it is time for you to read The School For Good and Evil and decide...are you really good...or are you evil?

Here is a look at what the book is about:



The first kidnappings happened two hundred years before. Some years it was two boys taken, some years two girls, sometimes one of each. But if at first the choices seemed random, soon the pattern became clear. One was always beautiful and good, the child every parent wanted as their own. The other was homely and odd, an outcast from birth. An opposing pair, plucked from youth and spirited away.

This year, best friends Sophie and Agatha are about to discover where all the lost children go: the fabled School for Good & Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy tale heroes and villains. As the most beautiful girl in Gavaldon, Sophie has dreamed of being kidnapped into an enchanted world her whole life. With her pink dresses, glass slippers, and devotion to good deeds, she knows she’ll earn top marks at the School for Good and graduate a storybook princess. Meanwhile Agatha, with her shapeless black frocks, wicked pet cat, and dislike of nearly everyone, seems a natural fit for the School for Evil.

But when the two girls are swept into the Endless Woods, they find their fortunes reversed—Sophie’s dumped in the School for Evil to take Uglification, Death Curses, and Henchmen Training, while Agatha finds herself in the School For Good, thrust amongst handsome princes and fair maidens for classes in Princess Etiquette and Animal Communication.. But what if the mistake is actually the first clue to discovering who Sophie and Agatha really are…?

The School for Good & Evil is an epic journey into a dazzling new world, where the only way out of a fairy tale is to live through one.

No comments: