Happy Halloween....And Then There Were None!


We all remember the great Agatha Christie novel And Then There Were None
It is Christie's best-selling novel with 100 million sales to date.  This makes it the world's best-selling mystery ever and one of the best-selling books of all time. With the dark poem we are all know ...

Ten little Indian Boys went out to dine;

One choked his little self and then there were nine.

Nine little Indian Boys sat up very late;
One overslept himself and then there were eight.

Eight little Indian Boys travelling in Devon;
One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.

Seven little Indian Boys chopping up sticks;
One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.

Six little Indian Boys playing with a hive;
A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.

Five little Indian Boys going in for law;
One got in Chancery and then there were four.

Four little Indian Boys going out to sea;
A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.

Three little Indian Boys walking in the zoo;
A big bear hugged one and then there were two.

Two little Indian Boys sitting in the sun;
One got frizzled up and then there was one.

One little Indian Boy left all alone;
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

I loved this story that forced the detective in me out, trying to figure out the "who-done-it".  I was trapped in the story and could not put it down until I had the answer.

When my sister told me about a book called Ten that was written by Gretchen McNeil, and that she was going to be at the Vegas Valley Book Festival, I knew that was one I had to get.  After the amazing day at the festival, Ten was the first book I picked up to read.  I was not disappointed!  The book was everything I expected ... a great modern retelling of the original. 
The Story takes place on a secluded Island (already creepy).  A bunch of kids get together for what is supposed to be an epic house party.  Even the swoon worthy T.J. was going to be there.  What more could a girl want?  However, when a storm blows through and there is no way off the island, the party turns into a nightmare.  One by one, people start being killed off and red slashes start to appear on the wall for every body that turns up. 

I read the book in 24 hours!  I couldn't put it down.  The best friend drove me crazy, but trying to figure out the puzzle that was Ten, kept it a "couldn't-put-down" book.  I wish I could say this book is for everyone but unfortunately I can't.  :(  I understand that when faced with death you're not going to use the best language.  For that reason I have to say 17+ is my recommendation.  With all this said, it's a good Halloween read full of murder and suspense and whole lot of sexy.

To find out more about Ten keep reading ...

 SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?


No comments: