"The Star-Crossed"

Oh my gosh!  How do I start.  First off … I decided to clump all four books in the “Star-Crossed” series together because … well … I read them all in four days!  I think that alone sums up my thoughts on these books.  : )  All I can say is these books were incredible!

I’m a romance nut.  I love the sweet stories of love and adventure, but it’s so hard to find this genre of book not filled with inappropriate garbage.  Rachel Higginson does an amazing job creating a storyline where your heart tugs for the relationships penned, as well as, keeping some decorum in the descriptions.



Ohhh … and the characters!  They were developed and written so well; I felt like I knew them.  They all seemed real.  At times I was so engrossed with the story that I felt like I was there, in these amazing locations.  I felt their anger, their sadness, their laughter, and their love.  At times I found myself reading with a smile on my face.  And at other times, I found tears in my eyes.  Congratulations Rachel on a well developed storyline.

For full disclosure I will include a few things that bothered me … stop reading if you don’t want your opinion tainted.  ; )

At times I became frustrated with Eden.  She was self-centered and had a knack for throwing self-pity parties.  However, what teenage girl doesn’t do that at times.  After reading the entire series and sitting back to contemplate on her character, I think she had to be written that way.  You had to go through your happiness with her … your frustrations with her … and your hopelessness for her … to truly love Eden and all the other characters.

Probably the thing that frustrated me the most, was the poor editing job done throughout these series.  I had to constantly skip over spelling issues and grammatical errors, and felt that Rachel Higginson’s editor should have picked these up.

Also, as a side-note in the “full disclosure” department … if you are looking for a love story a young teen could read … be aware that there is some slight language (very mild) in the books.  The kissing scenes can also get pretty intense at times, but when kissing is as far as romance novels go … I can’t really complain.

As I write this review, I am feeling somewhat guilty … like I am being disloyal to the characters of Star-Crossed by making negative comments.  Haha  I guess this just shows how much they became a part of my life these past four days.  I highly recommend Reckless Magic, Hopeless Magic, Fearless Magic, and Endless Magic.  And as for me … I don't know what to do with myself.  I have this empty feeling, now that the series is over.  How will I cope?  Time to find another book!

Check out what the first book in the series, Reckless Magic, is all about:

"16 year old Eden Matthews has been in and out of private schools for the last two years. Kingsley is her last chance to finish high school and she is determined to simply do that. But when she meets Kiran Kendrick and her world opens to something she thought only existed in fairy tales, she's unsure what her future will hold. Suddenly she is captivated by a boy who seems to be the source of all of her problems and struggling to rescue her best friend from a foreign prison. When attempts are made on Kiran's life, Eden alone must save him. Thrust into a world that is more make-believe than reality, Eden has to find her own destiny without losing those she loves most. Reckless is an intricate story of mystery, adventure, magic and love. Eden Matthews is an unlikely heroine set on a path to save the world and her loved ones before its too late."

1 comment:

Irene/Mom/Grandma said...

I should look for this series. You've definitely got me interested.