"Wings"

I really shouldn’t have read this book.  Firstly, I had just finished a series that I LOVED.  Secondly, I had passed by this book many times wondering if it would be something I liked.  I guess I should have gone with my gut instinct.

I think what kept pulling me back to it, was that Stephenie Meyer strongly endorsed it and put it on one of her “Must Read” lists.  I’m not saying I’m a Stephenie Meyer nut … I’m just thinking that an author who has been so successful tuning into the masses, might know what she is talking about.  So, against my better judgment, I decided to give it a try.  Wrong decision.



Now … many of you may be thinking, “Oh how beautiful!  A blossom growing out of her back!”  That wasn’t me.  As much as I tried to remind myself that “Wings” is a fantasy novel, I still couldn’t get my mind around it.  Right from the beginning, as much as I tried, I couldn’t get that sour taste out of my mouth.

However, I think everyone should make up their own mind.  What I like … you might hate.  And what I hate … you might like.  I do agree with another reader who wrote, “ Unfortunately it was pretty basic.  In fact the whole plotline was pretty simple.  Nothing really fantastic about it.  There were no shocking moments, suspense, or cliffhangers.  Overall, it wasn't AS bad as I was expecting it to be.  It was a decent enough book.  But it didn't leave me with wanting to know more or not already assuming what is happening next. In three words … predictable but fun.  Read when you’re bored.”

Check it out.  Here’s a look at what “Wings is about:

“Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.”

No comments: