"Witch & Wizard"

I hate making these kind of reviews, but with that said … here it goes.  I think my main problem I had with this novel, was that I was expecting a lot from this book when I first picked it up.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't up to the expectations I had.

The premise was good.  The story itself was okay.  It just seemed a bit slow.  Nothing much really happened.  I could probably summarize the book in a few sentences.  Don’t get me wrong … the story wasn’t terrible … it actually kept me curiously interested and I kept reading until the end, just to find out how it would finish.



Maybe I was expecting it to be more like the Harry Potter series.  If this is what you are expecting, you will be deeply let down.  When I first read the premise for this book, I had very high hopes that it would be the next series to captivate audiences around the world.  I should have read “Witch & Wizard” without expectations and let it stand on it’s own.  Basically, it is not the book I expected when I first read about it.  However, I will read the other books, to find out how these prophecies play out for the siblings and The One Who Is The One.

Another thing that really bothered me (and I will admit it is a very trivial point) is the length of each chapter.  They were so short!  I would start reading … the plot would start building … and then it would abruptly stop.  Then, the next chapter would be from a different view point and the same cycle would start all over again.  I think this style of writing stopped me from getting lost in the story.

Please don’t let my thoughts stop you from checking out “Witch & Wizard”.  Enough time may have passed since the wizarding world of Hogwarts came to an end.  Other readers may totally love it and I would love to hear your feedback.

Here is a glimpse of what “Witch & Wizard” is all about:

The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?

No comments: